Friday, July 30, 2010

A Shout Out To Gerry

A couple of years ago I was attending a Homebuilders Association banquet as a builder. I had a couple of entries in the competition and was hoping for an award. It didn’t happen for me — I had to wait another year, finally bringing home the gold at the next banquet.

But Gerry did bring home the gold that night.

Let me tell you a little about him. Gerry and his partners are my direct competitors in our market here. Years ago we both worked for a tract builder. I was management, while he was a foundation contractor. We often locked horns on the job sites, but I grew to like him. Gerry worked hard at everything he tackled.

Gerry runs a company out of La Salle, Man. now. The company offices are right on the main street of the community. If you want to talk to their staff about a house, just walk into the office — their door is always open.

Anyway, I went over to congratulate Gerry on his win that night, and asked how business was going for him and his partners. Over the next half an hour, I got a pretty good picture of the culture of their business.

At the time, their main focus was La Salle. They did their own selling by just being approachable and present in the community. Gerry moved right into the middle of the subdivision where they were working, so his customers became his neighbors.

It reminded me of my experience for another builder, years ago in Stonewall. I too moved right into the middle of the subdivision, and my 15 clients per year became my new friends and neighbors. It’s the same now twenty years later.

So, Gerry falls into my description of a true custom builder. His values include building a long-term relationship with his clients, one that goes beyond the mandatory one year warranty period. And Gerry is making the personal sacrifices to make this happen.

My hat’s off to you Gerry, and all the guys at Paradigm Homes in La Salle. We may compete against each other, but I never mind competing against a worthy peer. Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment